Friday, June 19, 2009

Exit strategies

Yeah - sad sack lot this week. I think I looked at some of them. Didn't I already close some of those bastards? Maybe it's just that they all sound alike in their man-dorkiness now.

I think 'Rob' the Tate-Donovan-impersonating sex freak is going to be more like a science experiment than a date, but I feel the need to use my three almost-free months of eHarmony so I'll have good war stories.

I had trouble escaping my Jon-Ed date the other night. I panicked and said, "Well, um, maybe I'll hear from you by email?" before jumping into my car and driving off. I didn't really want him to email me again, but I needed something to end the painful repetition in my head that went something like, "Oh, please don't do the lean in and kiss me thing. Please, please, please. Should I stick out my hand? Should I give him a high five?" So, I need to be prepared for this. This is what happens when you date the same person for a long time and you get out of practice at the exit lines. I'm going to work on my closing skills. I'm practicing my exit lines. For example:

Stock exit line: "Well, it was really nice to meet you. Good night!"
In response to a "can I have your number?" "Well, it was really nice to meet you, but I'm not sure I felt the chemistry. Ba-BYE!" (this one requires an immediate exit)
I'm debating an alternative, "I don't like to give out my number unless I feel really comfortable with someone." (this puts them back online and may offend them enough not to email me again, while not really being rude myself)

You're good at the pithy one-liners. Some help would be appreciated...

Harriet

No comments: