Friday, June 19, 2009

Over-Eager Beaver Brent

I'm sure no man will ever be interested in reading our blog(so far nobody else is), but if a man ever reads this, this is a cautionary tale. When one has a lunch date and an hour of nice conversation, and the lady agrees to let you have her phone number (though slightly reluctantly), you must make your next move strategically. You want to call or email soon, but not too soon (24 -36 hours is ideal). You want to play it cool -- You really had a great time and would like to do it again. How about this weekend? The object is not to piss her off and not to scare her. This is not rocket science. Brent went a little wheels-off with this email:

"I just wanted to tell you it was a pleasure meeting you today. I would love to get together with you again and I will be calling you. Since you're leaving for the weekend, I'm thinking monday you would need to unwind back in town (I have monday totally open if not)...tuesday I have a private two step lesson at 6 so I'd be free like say 7:30. Wed. I have group dance lessons from 7 to 10. Thursday is open and friday evening I have a hike and dinner if you'd like to join me. When I am feeling a little more comfortable with the two step, I would love to go with you. I'm learning swing and Salsa, so if you ever want to go dance we could totally do that, but alas, my wed. nights are booked for at least this month with group dance lessons. I love movies, so that is a top choice for me. And, once you get to know me, if you stick it out long enough, I would eventually like to show off my cooking skills. I make a mean stuffed shells dish.You are super cute :>)You pick a day next week, I'll make the plans!!!!!!"

Sweetie. What to say to this? YOU ARE FREAKIN ME OUT! You just gave me your entire week's schedule (much of which pertained to dance -- when did you become Lord of the Dance?) on an hour-by-hour play-by-play and pretty much threw yourself at my feet in what can only be regarded as a desperate you-haven't-had-a-good-date-in-a-LONG-time maneuver. You have put me in a difficult position, because this is so desperate I'm going to have to go out with you again or risk your suicide. The thing, is girls can relate to desperation, so we are reluctant to punish you for it. I'll have to think about this.

Harriet.

No comments: